Over the past few weeks we’ve been talking about HR Strategic Planning, we’ve introduced it and we’ve talked about assessing where you are now, and we’ve looked at forecasting your HR requirements. Today, let’s “mind the gap”.
The next step is to determine the gap between where your organization wants to be in the future and where you are now. The gap analysis includes identifying the number of staff and the skills and abilities required in the future in comparison to the current situation. You should also look at all your organization's HR management practices to identify practices that could be improved or new practices needed to support the organization's capacity to move forward. Questions to be answered include:
· What new jobs will we need?
· What new skills will be required?
· Do our present employees have the required skills?
· Are employees currently in positions that use their strengths?
· Do we have enough managers/supervisors?
· Are current HR management practices adequate for future needs?
Next time we’ll dive into developing strategies that support the overall organizational strategies which is no small undertaking!